My Face Routine
NOTE: I have since discontinued using this product, as a month into using it I had the most severe breakout of my life, with massive pimples and severe scarring. It took me a long time to realise that I was not reacting well to this product. I am, by no means, saying do not use it, but it was not good for my skin.
My face has constantly been an uphill and downhill battle that I have spent more time losing than winning. Over the years I have tried every acne fighting shelf product I could afford to try and tackle my acne, oil and itch ridden face. The products would work for a week or so, and then it would be back to normal. Sometimes I did not even notice a difference. Then a few months back, I entered a competition I had come across on Facebook by Joburg magazine, Joburg Style. To my pleasant surprise, I won!
The hamper, from African Extracts Rooibos, was wonderfully packaged. But I had never heard of this product and was pleased to see a product that focused on the health and well-being of my face. I secretly felt like I had hit the jackpot. After the face products I was using finished, I gave myself a few weeks off and just used normal face wash to let the previous product be forgotten by my skin. Then I was ready to start my new face routine.
1. I use the Deep Cleansing Facial Wash to wash my face in the mornings when I shower, pat my face dry and after giving my face a little breathing time, I apply the Soothing Cleansing Lotion with my fingers. I lather this on my face, and then wipe it off with a cotton wool swab. There is no need to put moisturiser after that! Since my face produces a lot of oil, the Cleansing Lotion just by itself is enough to sustain and moisturise. Then I am ready to face the day smiling!
Note: I use this combination on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
2. For my evening face wash, I wash my face again with the Deep Cleansing Facial Wash. After the usual breathing space, I apply the Nourishing Night Cream and head to sleep.
Note: I use this combination on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
3. The Exfoliating Facial Scrub is to be used only twice a week, as I cannot imagine that scrubbing everyday is good for the face. When I get into the shower, I throw water on my face and apply the Exfoliating Facial Scrub. I leave it on my face while I shower and rinse it off after I am done showering. I give my face breathing space and apply the Moisturising Day Cream with SPF 15.
Note: I use this combination on Tuesday and Friday in the mornings.
4. The Exfoliating Facial Scrub can be used either in the morning or in the evenings. Depending on when I use it, I will apply the moisturiser appropriate for that time. I prefer to scrub in the mornings, however.
5. This is my whole African Extracts Rooibos range which I now use and have come to love. I am so over using products because I want to kill the acne and oil. My focus now is on making sure that my face is healthy at all times, and taking all the steps necessary to make sure that I do not complain as much as I used to.
6. This one is a totally new idea that I decided to try out because for many years older people have been telling me to buy Tea Tree Oil and use it for my pimples. I bought this on Friday at Clicks, unfortunately it is quite pricey for 20ml sitting at R75.00. Desperate, I did not really think much about the price and just went in for the purchase.
When I got home in the evening, I steamed my face for 15 minutes. After patting my face dry, I allowed it to breathe a bit. Then I washed my face with my Exfoliating Facial Scrub, applied the Nourishing Night Cream and with an ear bud, dabbed some undiluted Tea Tree Oil directly on my pimples (not on the entire face).
Tea Tree Oil is very strong, and if you have sensitive skin, it is not advised to use it undiluted. It also has quite a strong smell, but I like the smell.
When I woke up in the morning after this routine, my face was feeling refreshed and the pimples which were enourmous the night before were reduced to little studs on my face. The swelling, whiteheads, redness went with the night! It works!
Unfortunately the oil will not prevent pimples from coming out, it merely helps them heal because of its anti-fungal/bacterial properties.
Please do some reading before you use Tea Tree Oil, it helps a lot!
What is your trusted face routine?